Hours Collegiate of Santa Maria a Mare: 8:30 to 12:00; 17:00 to 20:00
Times Museum of Sacred Art “Don Clemente Confalone”: April, May, June, September and October from 14.00 to 19.00; July and August 10:00 to 12:00 and 14:30 to 20:00
Admission is free.
— History —
Collegiata Santa Maria a Mare
The church of Santa Maria is situated on Mount Torina. It was built on the remains of stronghold as if to protect the population from above.
The church was originally dedicated to the Archangel Michael. The church was subsequently dedicated to the Virgin Mary of the Sea, after the miraculous discovery of a wooden statue of the Virgin Mary on the beach in Maiori.
The church has undergone several restorations through time which have changed the original romanic appearance.
The last intervention was in 1836. The Neapolitan architect, Pietro Valente, turned the church round, in that the apse and the transept are now where the entrance to the church used to be. This is the present aspect of the building.
The exterior has several details which merit our attention: the dome with its bright yellow and green majolica tiles and the bell tower, situated where the stronghold once was.
The majestic neo-classical exterior has three aisles and a golden wood panelled ceiling which dates to 1529. This was completed by the Neapolitan painter, Alessandro de Fulco, commissioned by noble families of Maiori.
The Main altar displays the statue of the Virgin Mary. The wide transept is surmounted by the dome. There is a chapel on either side of the transept. The chapel on the left is dedicated to the Holy Sacrament and is in neo-renaissance style, dating to the early 1900s.
Along the external aisles, we can see a series of paintings that are representative of Maiori’s art work, from 15th century images ( Towards the Crucifix, paintings of the D’Amato school) to copies of Our Lady of Portosalvo, Madonna and Child) and works by Gaetano Capone ( Our Lady of May , The Immaculate Conception)
The crypt under the church is now the “Don Clemente Falcone” museum and houses religious works of art. It celebrates the riches and memories of the past. Among the numerous exhibits we must mention the English, gothic, alabaster altar piece dating to the XV century. It is considered to be one of the oldest in Italy and therefore a real masterpiece.
We can also admire a XV century small wooden and bone box, a fine example of the “Embriachi” School.
There is also a rich collection of statues and busts of saints dating from the XV to the XVIII centuries, of note, is the XV century wooden statue of the Virgin and Child, probably in the German style. Last, but not least, the display cases house precious holy vestments, vases and ornaments in Neapolitan silver.
Excursions are also available and customized tours upon request for groups of 5 persons.
Contact us for reservations and / or request further information:
[contact-form to=’email@example.com,’ subject=’Modulo da maioricultura.it’][contact-field label=’Name type=’name’ required=’1’/][contact-field label=’E-mail’ type=’email’ required=’1’/][contact-field label=’Website’ type=’url’/][contact-field label=’Request’ type=’textarea’ required=’1’/][/contact-form]